Saturday, November 14, 2009

Ensenada Dental Clinic

By Pat Rodgers

Good morning, friends, from beautiful Ensenada, Mexico. Have been here since Friday evening, as part of our Rotary Club Dental Clinic and work day at a local school. The hotel is a great one, overlooking the marina and Pacific ocean and light years ahead of Motel 6.

Our Rotary Club does a Dental Clinic and work project several times a year down here and this is the first one I have attended. I must say, it was a worthwhile experience.

The Dental Care for Children van and it's group of volunteer dentists, along with students from the USC dental school, were well organized and treated over 50 kids from a local elementary school. There was over $24,000 worth of dental services delivered.

Then the rest of us, the common laborers, undertook the work project of repainting the block walls of the school buildings which were adorned with graffiti. After a quick trip to Home Depot, to pick up the paint and supplies, we embarked on the project. It took about six hours of manual labor and true to the Rodgers painting form, I got as much paint on me as I did the school. Fortunately, it was water based paint and cleaned up easily.

The parents and kids from the school were great and many pitched in and helped. I had forgotten the joys of manual labor, especially painting with rollers and brushes. At the end of the day, I remembered why I have such great respect for people who do painting for a living. Stepping back and looking at the finished project however, we did a pretty god job for amateurs.

The kids got their teeth fixed and a clean new looking school building. In viewing their basketball court, I also noted that neither of the two backboards had baskets, so while we were getting paint, I also dropped into the local Wal-Mart and picked up two baskets and two new basketballs for them. The school principal was most appreciative and the kids will enjoy their basketball court again.

All in all it was a successful trip. The folks I am riding with have to leave early this morning to get to a funeral back home this afternoon. Hopefully, there will not be a long line at the border, since we are leaving early. Hope that each of you has an enjoyable Sunday and my best wishes to all.